Lets Talk about MOLD
- The key to mold control is moisture control.
- If mold is an issue in your home or business, you should clean up the mold promptly and resolve the water problem.
- It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on. You can prevent damage to your home and furnishings, save money, and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth.
Tips and techniques
Please note that mold may cause staining and cosmetic damage. It may not be possible to clean an item so that its original appearance is restored. SERVPRO is your professional remediator who is equipped to clean up the expanding mold problem that invades your home.
- Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy. Mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials, so the mold may be difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Avoid exposing yourself or others to mold.
- Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
- If you are unsure about how to clean an item, or if the item is expensive or of sentimental value, you may wish to consult a specialist. Specialists in furniture repair, restoration, painting, art restoration and conservation, carpet and rug cleaning, water damage, and fire or water restoration are at your fingertips. SERVPRO will clean and restore your home like the mold never happened.
Read more about mold in your home and the dangers at EPA.gov